Search Engine Land celebrates its Candy 16 right now.
Whereas a lot of the authentic crew from 2006 has moved on, the mission of Search Engine Land stays almost the identical because it has been since day 1.
As explained by founding editor Danny Sullivan, Search Engine Land was created to be:
- A spot the place you’ll be able to sustain with what’s taking place within the search house.
- A neighborhood.
- A whole new world revolving across the vital instruments of serps, a world that continues to develop and be formed, with such a huge effect on society and our day by day lives.
There’s so much to stay up for in 2023.
However first, let’s have a look again on the previous 12 months of Search Engine Land, give some due to those that have helped make this 12 months a hit, and tease a number of issues you’ll be able to anticipate from us over the following 12 months.
Thanks for studying!
For those who’re nonetheless studying this, thanks! Sure, you!
Day by day, our mission is to carry you the most recent information and data because it occurs, in addition to helpful guides and insights that can assist you thrive and advance in your profession, navigate the ever-changing search panorama and perceive what’s coming subsequent.
Hopefully, you discovered our information protection and articles useful over the previous 12 months.
And simply as a reminder: in the event you’d like all the most recent search information, evaluation and intelligence in your inbox, be sure to subscribe to Search Engine Land’s newsletter.
Because of the Search Engine Land crew
Search Engine Land has a small team. However because the late Steve Jobs as soon as stated, “A small crew of A+ gamers can run circles round an enormous crew of B and C gamers.”
And I really we consider we’ve got these A+ gamers right here.
- Barry Schwartz. Barry is a legend – he’s been writing on Search Engine Land because the starting and protecting seek for an astounding 19 years. He’s written a ridiculous variety of information articles (someplace round 40,000), documenting all the most recent updates and developments in our house. His work ethic is past spectacular and it’s been an honor to work with him this 12 months.
- Nicole Farley: Nicole has been an awesome addition to the crew. I used to be impressed by her after we first met a few years in the past. Since becoming a member of the crew, Nicole has nicely far exceeded my expectations and does a incredible job staying on high of all the most recent developments on the earth of PPC.
- Angel Niñofranco: I used to be past excited to have Angel be a part of the crew and to work together with her for a second time. Enjoyable reality: Angel now has been my first rent at two totally different corporations. Angel is a really glorious editor and helps be sure our SME content material is worthy of your time and a focus.
- Kathy Bushman: It’s been nice working with Kathy on the SMX occasions. Her focus by no means wavers from what’s most vital: ensuring we ship top-level content material (and expertise to match) to everybody who attends our occasions. I’m already trying ahead to fascinated with the agendas for SMX Superior and Subsequent in 2023 – each will likely be right here a lot prior to we expect!
- Sarah Slifko-Camarra & Karen DeWeese: I can’t thank them sufficient for all their assist in getting our SME program established and arranged. Plus, Sarah and Karen do some nice work behind the scenes with SMX.
- Marc Sirkin: Marc has been an enormous ally and sounding board for beginning to make some massive and much-needed modifications to our web site and search engine marketing technique.
- Chris Elwell: I really admire Chris for his management, for all the time difficult us to be higher, and for the thoughtfulness in how he approaches enterprise choices and processes. He has really created an awesome crew and firm. (And, in case you didn’t know, he has been a key determine within the growth of our complete trade. Watch this video interview he did with Barry in 2020 to study extra.)
There are such a lot of different incredible people who’re a part of the Third Door Media crew who I haven’t talked about. Simply know, even when I didn’t point out you, I admire you and all you do to assist make our firm profitable.
Gone, however not forgotten
It has undoubtedly been a 12 months of change for Search Engine Land. I joined Search Engine Land in January. And Nicole and Angel joined round midway by 2022.
We additionally bid farewell to some crew members. So cue the “In Memoriam” theme for:
- Henry Powderly, former vp of content material for Third Door Media, the writer of Search Engine Land and MarTech (August 2018 – June 2022)
- George Nguyen, former editor (June 2020 – March 2022)
- Corey Patterson, former editor (November 2021 – June 2022)
High 3 highlights of 2022
Regardless of some challenges, I’d say it’s secure to name 2022 an general success for Search Engine Land.
SMX Superior and SMX Subsequent
Each reveals had the best viewers rankings within the historical past of Third Door Media. Greater than 8,500 search entrepreneurs signed up for each occasions.
Whereas these numbers are nice, what actually mattered to me was the suggestions we acquired from individuals who invested their time in our occasions. It was overwhelmingly constructive for the audio system, content material and expertise.
It was additionally nice to have Google again at SMX, with keynotes that includes Hyung-Jin Kim and Ginny Marvin.
Plus, the 2022 Search Engine Land Awards revealed among the really nice work happening in our trade. I can’t wait to see what successes y’all have over the following a number of months – so be sure to enter subsequent 12 months.
SME program relaunch
One among my high priorities was launching our Topic Matter Skilled (SME) program.
An enormous thanks to all of our glorious SMEs for all the nice content material and insights you shared in 2022. We’ll be highlighting the highest 10 hottest search engine marketing and PPC columns of the 12 months – so verify again Dec. 29-30, when these will likely be revealed. I stay up for studying much more nice recommendation and insights from you in 2023!
Talking of 2023 – I’ll be in search of new contributors very quickly. Extra particulars to come back. However in the event you’re serious about turning into a contributor on Search Engine Land, 2023 may be your 12 months.
Site visitors and viewers progress
I gained’t lie – not that it’s any secret – Search Engine Land has its share of search engine marketing messes to wash up, together with a reasonably disastrous “consolidation” of classes that was dealt with with a blowtorch as a substitute of a scalpel. Most of that search engine marketing harm has, fortunately, been handled.
Regardless of our lengthy search engine marketing to-do checklist, visitors and viewers progress are trending in the precise path:
- Classes – up 30%
- Pageviews – up 25%
- Customers – up 16%
- Natural search visitors – up 22%
- Direct visitors – up 34%
What’s subsequent for Search Engine Land?
We’re already waiting for 2023. You’ll be able to anticipate us to proceed offering breaking information protection and insights on all issues search.
Plus, we’ll be debuting a few new common options we hope you’ll like.
And save the dates for our SMX occasions:
- SMX Superior: June 13-14.
- SMX Subsequent: Nov. 15-16.
And there’s loads extra to come back.
On behalf of everybody at Search Engine Land and Third Door Media, I want you an awesome remainder of 2022 and a profitable and wholesome 2023.
New on Search Engine Land